Monday, July 15, 2013

Pet Separation Anxiety

I had never stayed away from my dog for more than a few days until I stayed with my grandparents for the entire week.  I was so anxious to see Kita and play with him.  When I finally got back yesterday, he was fairly indifferent towards me.  He was tired from playing at Doggie Daycare all day while Chris picked me up, so that might have had something to do with it, but I was slightly disappointed.  After he woke up a bit, he is acting the exact same way he always does with me.  


I'm thankful that Kita is equally attached to Chris and I, because he is content spending time with either one of us, because our cats are definitely not like that.  They both express anger if we leave them for a few days, but when only one of us is gone it depends on which one of us has left.  When Chris leaves for a night or more, Seph sleeps facing our front door waiting for him to come home.  He throws in a long whine here and there to let me know he is not happy.  As usual, Zoey showed his displeasure with my absence by peeing on our bed and in our laundry baskets.  He never does that unless I leave him for more than one night.  Seph greeted me when he got home, but otherwise he didn't seem to mind me being gone.

I've always thought that Zoey's behavior was his way of showing his anger over me leaving and to tell me not to do it again, but then today I read this Catster article that claims that they are "mingling their scent with the scent of their beloveds."  I don't know about that, but at least one pet is very happy to have me home!

If you haven't done so already, check out Zoey's Catster profile and add him as a friend to your own cats if you also use the site.

Want to learn more about Seph?  Click here to visit his page!

No comments:

Post a Comment